Skip to content
- Cheatham Locks and Dam (CR 149) – Starting an 11 day full closure on 5-10-21. Intermittent closures for repair will run through 7-15-21.
- Greenup Locks and Dam (OR 341) – Main chamber is CLOSED due to the sharp rise of water in the river (over 30′) and having to move equipment into the main chamber. ETA on completion is NOW around 5-15-21. Auxiliary chamber will be used starting PM on 5-5-21.
- Olmsted Lock and Dam (OR 964) – The wickets have been LOWERED since April 30.
- Chickamauga Lock and Dam (TR 471) – FULL closure from 5-3-21 to 5-24-21 for a full electrical rehab on the lock operating system.
- Wilson Locks and Dam (TR 259) – Main Chamber resumed locking on 5-12-21 around 2000.
- Meldahl Locks and Dam (OR 436) – Main chamber repairs will begin 5-17-21 and run through 6-29-21. Will use the Auxiliary chamber. Expect intermittent full closures TBA.
- Smith’s Bay on the Upper Miss (UM 530) – River Open back up last night.
- Burlington Railroad Bridge Closure – BNSF is making repairs to their subject bridge and will require a one hour advance notice to transit between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. They plan on moving into position tomorrow and are estimated to be out there for the next 3 to 4 weeks.
- Mel Price Main Chamber Closure 2022 – Main Chamber closed JAN 2022- Mar 2022 for Liftgate Replacement and Lock Dewatering.
- Lock 2 Closure – UM815 is going to have a planned Closure in July. They will have 4 -12hr closures to install Miter gates.
Lower Miss/Gulf/Canals/Tenn Tom
- Lower Miss Closure at Memphis – Tuesday night 5/11, the I-40 bridge in Memphis (LM 736) closed to road and river transit. This has the potential to be a multi-day closure with major impact to the river system. Routine inspection found a significant breakdown to load bearing structure. As of Thursday evening, surveyors and engineers are awaiting results late Friday of further testing which will determine the ability to resume river navigation. Industry remains awaiting further details. Queue is currently 28 SBD, 26 NBD as of 1700 5/13.
- Gulf and Canals Weather Update – Good operating conditions forecast through the weekend, ahead of more rain systems next week.
- High Water Outlook– There has been some improvement with the river stage forecasts. We expect to crest around 12′ on the Carrolton gauge for approx. 10 days starting 5/16. Baton Rouge not expected to exceed 35′. Expect fleet surcharges, as well as fleet restrictions to go into effect. We remain seeing 14-20% tow size restrictions and boat-by-boat daylight restrictions at Vicksburg and Baton Rouge.
- Lower Miss Closure – Dredging Operations expected to begin Friday 5/7 at Winchester, LM 900, for 6 days. Expect to pass traffic with intermittent delays of 6-12 hrs.
- Lower Miss Work at Randolph Bluff – Due to rock-laying revetment work at Randolph, LM 770, the river will see delay daily 0600 – 1800 4/27 through 5/31. Contractors have advised they will be able to pass southbound and northbound boats on a case-by-case basis. Expect this slow-down to cause 6-12 hrs delay depending on daily traffic.
- Industrial Lock Closure – Lock will closed 0600 – 1830 Tuesday 5/11 for concrete pouring on new dolphins. Expect additional 12 hrs of delay through Wednesday 5/12.
- Algiers Lock Restrictions – Until further notice, tows over 60′ wide restricted to 600′ total length, and tows less than 60′ wide restricted to 700′ total length. Two 30K barges or Four regulation barges are able to lock through in one go, but greater configurations will require trip boat assistance.
- Algiers Lock Delays -Traffic and ongoing tow size restrictions remain driving 2+ days of delay at Algiers (West Canal). These conditions continue to contribute to multiple days of delay to shipments between the Lower Miss and West Canal. Prolonged closure at Bayou Sorrel will extend these delays.
- Harvey Lock Closures – Harvey will close 4/5 – 5/21 for repair work to the 4th Street Lift-Bridge. Expect increased traffic and delays at Algiers. High water could increase the impact of this issue.
- Bayou Chene Closure – Due to entering a critical phase of floodgate construction and diving operations, expect nightly closures (1900 – 0700) and an assist vessel requirement for transiting Bayou Chene (Morgan City bypass). These changes take effect 4/14. May drive delays to transit of the West Canal through the Morgan City area of 6-12 hrs.
- Bayou Sorrel Closure – Bayou Sorrel Lock (PA 37) has closed to transit due to high water as of Tuesday PM, 5/11. Expect up to a week closure until the water recedes due to recent storms. Traffic will redirect through Algiers, driving delays there.
- Port Allen Lock Restrictions – Due to a barge allision and damage to the guidewall, the following restrictions will be in place: Westbound tows with more than 1 barge will be permitted to lock with an assist vessel, while only single-barge tows will lock without assist. Eastbound tows greater than 650′ long will require an assist vessel. Due to these restrictions, expect a potential for delays to lockages.
- Brazos Floodgate Closure – Repair work will close the Brazos floodgates (WC 401) 0001 5/13 through 0001 5/14. Expect 24-36 hr delays due to this closure.
- Warrior-Tom and Tenn-Tom Delays – Traffic on the Tombigbee river system from the Tennessee River to Mobile is seeing delays related to high flows on this river system. Expect to see some impact through mid-May.