Safety & Sustainability
Our commitment to environmental stewardship runs deep. Every member of our ACBL team, from the deck and the wheelhouse to the terminal and the office, is committed to our operating priority of safety and protection of the marine environment. This unwavering commitment is the foundation of our exemplary safety and environmental records.
In November 2015, 74 ACBL towboats were recognized with the Chamber of Shipping of America's Environmental Achievement Award for their operating at least two years with no reportable spills; no U.S. Coast Guard citations for violations of MARPOL, an international marine environmental convention; no port state citations for violations of MARPOL; and no violations of state/local pollution regulations.
At ACBL, we utilize an environmental management system that includes pollution prevention, energy and resource conservation, environmental audits, training, and community outreach. We strive to exceed regulatory requirements and ensure continuous improvement in our environmental performance through voluntary participation in and sponsorship of programs that promote environmental excellence and leadership.
- Member of the American Chemistry Council's Responsible Care Partnership Program
- Certified by the American Waterways Operators' Responsible Carrier Program
- Advocate member of Kentucky EXCEL Program
- Member of Indiana Partners for Pollution Prevention
- Member of the Louisiana Environmental Leadership Program
- William M. Benkert Marine Environmental Protection Award, presented by the U.S. Coast Guard
- Governor's Award for Environmental Excellence, presented top ACBL's Manufacturing Division by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management
- First within the inland waterways transportation industry to be accepted into the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Performance Track Program
- Sponsor of Living Lands & Waters, dedicated to protecting, preserving and restoring our nation's rivers
- Sponsor of RiverWorks Discovery, a national outreach education effort focused on the role of our nation's rivers